The Challenge Ahead
Cancer will not go away in our lifetime and the incidence is on the rise as New Zealand’s population steadily ages and increases.
- 30% population growth predicted by 2031
(Census base 2011)
- 65+ age group to rise to 1.2 million by 2036
(NZ Statistics National Projections 2011)
- 20% increased referrals to the Cancer Society Psychological Services since 2011
(Supportive Care Annual Review)
- 56% of all those diagnosed with cancer are aged over 65 years
(Ministry of Health 2013 Cancer Registrations)
With more people being diagnosed with cancer in our community, we are seeing an increased demand on Cancer Society Supportive Care and Accommodation at Domain Lodge.
- John Loof, CEO, Cancer Society Auckland Northland