History

1929: Established

1930: Consultation Clinic was established

1932: A follow up programme and register of all cancer cases seen at the Clinic

1933: The appointment of a Radiological Physicist was made

1935: A national publicity campaign was launched. Auckland organised the distribution of “The truth about cancer” booklet to professionals such as doctors and district nurses.

1939: Research was began in order to collate statistics from the clinic’s across the country to establish a correlation into the incidence of cancer

1944: Education campaign using women’s organisations to help make the public aware of the need for early diagnosis and treatment of cancer

1947: First public appeal campaign as run after the war, with the catch phrase of ‘Fight cancer with knowledge’. It aimed to raise funds to set up an Information Bureau and to introduce cancer education to the region

1950: Cancer research in Auckland began when Dr J.F Burton was granted a Cancer Research Scholarship in Pathology

1955: Patients from out of town requiring treatment had beds secured in private hospitals or convalescent homes with the division paying the costs

1962: Patients were accommodated at the Salvation Army Hotel, where the welfare of the patients was foremost in the Hotel Staff’s minds

1968: The division obtained its own headquarters and these premises housed office staff but also a cancer detection clinic

1978: Domain Lodge motel complex was purchased

1979: Celebration of the 50th Jubilee