Many people undergoing cancer treatment are unable to drive themselves to their treatment appointments. This makes volunteer driving one of the most important volunteer roles at Cancer Society Northland.
Volunteer drivers pick patients up from their home, take them to their appointments and return them home again. This service helps take some of the stress off people and their families during what is already a difficult time.
Become a Volunteer Driver
As a volunteer driver, you can choose to drive as little or as often as you like on days that suit you. We will provide you with on-going support.
To become a volunteer driver you need to have:
- A friendly caring manner
- Good driving skills and a current full New Zealand driver's licence
- Up-to-date motor vehicle insurance and warrant of fitness
- The ability to maintain patient confidentiality
- Empathy for people being treated for cancer.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to establish rapport with people who may be stressed or upset.
- Confidence and professionalism in challenging situations.
We currently only have limited volunteer driver roles available. If you have any questions or would like some more information, please call 09 437 5593 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.