Many people undergoing cancer treatment are unable to drive themselves to their treatment appointments. This makes volunteer driving one of the most important volunteer roles at Cancer Society Auckland.
Volunteer drivers pick patients up from their home, take them to their appointments and return them home again. This service helps take some of the stress off people and their families during what is already a difficult time.
Become a Volunteer Driver
Being a volunteer driver may only take a few hours once a week, once a fortnight, or even once a month. You can choose to drive as little or as often as you like on days that suit you. Patients appointments are Monday-Friday during business hours, so no out of hours driving is required.
To become a volunteer driver you need to have:
- A friendly caring manner
- Good driving skills and a current full New Zealand driver's licence
- Up-to-date motor vehicle insurance and warrant of fitness
- The ability to maintain patient confidentiality
- Empathy for people being treated for cancer.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to establish rapport with people who may be stressed or upset.
- Confidence and professionalism in challenging situations.
- Availability Monday-Friday 9am-5pm.
We provide you with full training and on-going support, and a contribution to your travel costs is available.
Due to high levels of interest for volunteer driving, all Auckland locations have now been filled except South Auckland. If you reside in this area, please register your interest here. We currently have no other volunteer opportunities.
Cancer Society Auckland will not be running its annual Daffodil Day street appeal on August 28th and 29th. This the first time in 30 years that our much-loved street appeal will not take place here in Auckland. We are asking all Aucklanders to support us by donating online. Just $24 can help pay for a driver to take a cancer patient to and from treatment. Donations can be made here: daffodilday.org.nz
Please visit the Cancer Society Auckland website or our Facebook page for future volunteering opportunities.