Getting to treatment
Volunteer Driving Service Auckland
If you are finding it difficult to get to and from cancer-related appointments, our Cancer Society volunteer drivers are here to help.
Coordinated by our own staff, drivers can pick you up from home and return you after your appointment. Volunteer drivers undergo a recruitment process which includes interviews, police checks, orientation and ongoing training.
Our Volunteer Driving Service operates throughout the greater Auckland area from Orewa in the north to Papakura in the south. If you live outside of these areas, you may be eligible for free accommodation at Domain Lodge during treatment.
If you are a Health Professional wishing to refer a patient to this service, please first read the Driving Service information and criteria (PDF). Once you are satisfied that your patient fits the criteria, you can then refer them using our Supportive Care referral form.
To find out more information, please phone 09 379 6352 - 9am to 4pm, Monday to Friday.
NB: All referrals to this service must be made by a health professional.
Volunteer Driving Service Northland
If you are finding it difficult to get to and from cancer-related appointments, our Cancer Society volunteer drivers are here to help. Co-ordinated by our own staff, drivers can pick you up from home and return you after your appointment.
Volunteer drivers undergo a recruitment process which includes interviews, police checks, orientation and ongoing training.
To find out more please phone us at Daffodil House on 09 437 5597 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively you can talk to your Cancer Society Liaison Nurse.
Because this is a voluntary service we ask that you please:
- Give us as much notice as possible - at least two working days.
- Try and make sure your appointments are between 9:30 am and 2:30 pm. The hospital booking clerks can help you with this.
- Consider all your other transport options, at least for some appointments.
- Understand that it may not always be possible for us to assist you, although we will do our best.
To request a driver or to find out more please phone 09 437 5597 or email email@example.com.
Transport from Whangarei to Auckland
The NDHB operates a free shuttle that runs from Whangarei to Auckland Hospital on weekdays. Bookings are essential for this service. For more information or to book please call: 09 430 4101 extn 7405 or 8716.
Transport from Regional Northland into Whangarei
NDHB provides a daily transport from various community centres around Northland to Whangarei. Further information about the service is available on their website.
Who can use the shuttle?
- Outpatients and inpatients who have an appointment at a public hospital
- Parents of children with an appointment at a public hospital
- Support person/carers of older people or people who are physically challenged who have a public hospital appointment
Bookings are essential.
To book, please call Michelle or Leslie and the Whangarei Hospital transport office on 09 430 4101 ext 7405 or 8716.